Friday, August 24, 2012

Goals > Limits


Michael Phelps can be the next Ghandi if I had a say in this matter. It’s so true. What good does it serve you to put a limit on anything? That’s why I don’t usually like to start anything with a clear ending unless of course it’s the following:

Credit cards: My dad always said “if you pay your bills first, you’ll always have money to spend later.” True, pops…true. Even though I love my little motto better: "it's not what you spend, it's what you save." Haha...hah...ha...ha...if it only worked all the time.

Meals: If you are full, stop eating. If you are out to eat, ask for a to-go box immediately or put a napkin over your plate. Just don’t dump water on your food because as a server I can confidently say we hate you for doing that. If you are home leave the table, go for a walk, or drink water.  

School: If the professor said 7-10 pages on a paper, it was 7. Period. The end. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Presentations were the minimum time. Don’t ask me for a second more either. I blame Tim Ferriss for that. If you don’t know who that is, shame on you. He wrote “4-Hour Body” and “4-Hour Workweek” among others. The workweek book is all about maximizing your time to avoid the 9-5 jobs. Therefore, I said all that was needed in the minimum amount of pages and minutes.


Not putting a limit on things also means being able to step out of your comfort zone. You aren’t limiting your life experiences because you don’t like a certain workout, food or anything of that sort. My comfort zone has completely changed and this goes back to my frustrating Wednesday. I had to reflect on the failed attempt at running time and time again since it happened. Here is my new “ah-ha” moment slipping through the cracks. I can’t be afraid of stepping out of my comfort zone… if it is even called that. I am absolutely in the “in-between” where I don’t like my comfort zone, but I can’t seem to get out of it. Running and all these endurance activities are foreign to me…whether I like it or not. Therefore, a short-term goal is being determined today…

Before 2012 is over, I will try a new workout and run in a race (with some sick abs and a clear mind.)

Think about what some of your short-term goals should be. It could literally be anything. Switching your fashion sense, looking in the mirror and loving what you see, being an inspiration to someone, doing a good deed for the day. You know, integrity is doing something good when no one is looking. That’s a good short-term goal to have.

Does anyone else find this just disgraceful!? Not because of the running aspect, but just how it promotes a sedentary lifestyle. Get up and go live. I hate to give this attention, but it made me somewhat mad. 
Tip of the day for all the runners reading this:

One thing I read about running really made an impact on the lengths and quality of my runs before surgery. Once you feel like you are about to quit, that your lungs and legs can’t go any longer, slowly count to 30 thinking only about the seconds passing and BOOM-there’s your second wind. After my attempt at running on Wednesday, my mind is again flooded with positivity and I can’t wait to use this tip once again.

I had hot chocolate for breakfast. No, seriously. Yum!

Questions on my workouts, recipes, nutrition program?

Facebook  --> www.facebook.com/nmmarks
Twitter       --> @NikkiMarks
Email          --> nmarks54@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment